Why Hire A Doula?
Many studies have shown that births where a doula provided support, have markedly better outcomes. Choosing a doula can have a large impact on your birth experiences.
Better For the Baby. Better For the Mother.
Better maternal-infant bonding
Greater satisfaction with the birth experience
Low rates of postpartum depression
Higher success with breastfeeding
According to a summary of 15 high-quality randomized controlled trials, all woman should have support throughout their labor and birth. Their combined research tells us that women who recieve continuous labor support are less likely to experience
- Epidural or other analgesia
- Instrument assistance in birth (vacuum, forceps, etc.)
- Birth by cesarean
- dissatisfaction or a negative rating of their experience
- 28% less likelly to use any analgesia or anasthesia
- 26% less likely to give birth by cesarean section
- 41% less likely to give birth with vacuum or forceps
- 33% less likely to be dissatisfied with their birth experience
(From a press release from Maternity Center Association, NY September 2003)
In a 2017 Committee Opinion from ACOG, the American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecologists states that doula support may help in the prevention of a primary cesarean.
- "Evidence suggests that, in addition to regular nursing care, continuous one-to-one emotional support is associated with improved outcomes for women in labor."